Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (#5)

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where they post a new top ten list every week and ask bloggers to share their picks as well. 

Today's Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books For People Who Liked X Book 

When I first read about this topic, I groaned. I had no idea what book to pick. I figured that most blogs would pick something predictable like The Hunger Games, other dystopian novels, or popular contemporary picks and...I was right. While I love those lists and thoroughly enjoy reading them, I wanted to do something different, hence the reason I chose Seraphina. This is a book I've only recently read, but I've loved it with a burning passion and since I've read a plethora of fantasy books in my lifetime, I figured it would be a great novel to pick and share for this week! :) 

The Dragon Books: 
pic namepic name pic name
1. Eragon by Christopher Paulini 
I think this is a must-read for any fantasy/dragon lover. It is filled with heart-pounding action, unbelievable character development, and will leave you flipping the pages eagerly with its beautiful descriptions and dragon lore. 
2. The Fire Within by Chris d'Lacey
Yet another fabulous dragon series. This one has a rather unique twist in the fact that the dragons in this are clay dragons, but don't let that fool you. The story gets immensely complex as the series continues and I loved it! 
3. The Last Dragon by Silvana de Mari
I'm sad to say that this is an extremely unknown novel. It remains one of my favorites and I love this journey and the deep-rooted friendships it contains within its pages. I encourage everyone to read it, despite how rare it is to find. It's one of those real gems in literature. 

The Ones With Kick-Ass Heroines: 
4. Fire by Kristin Cashore 
Fire is one of my favorite books of all time and I think Fire's struggle to come to terms with who she is - the last monster in the Dells - is so similar to Seraphina's struggle to accept that she is a half-dragon. I think readers who loved the character development in Seraphina will love this one too. 
5. Angelfall by Susan Ee 
Penryn is one of my favorite heroines as she is brave, kind, and ruthless all at the same time. Seraphina is practically exactly like this as well and I think these two would get along marvelously if they ever met! ;) 
pic name pic name pic name
6. Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill 
This is yet another vastly unknown novel. Thirrin, the fierce protagonist of this novel, is forced to make unlikely friends to save her small kingdom from being conquered. I thought the manner in which she grew to see that she was not alone was so similar to Seraphina's growth herself. I'd highly recommend this book (although not the two sequels since they were...meh at best.)
7. The Queen's Thief Series by Megan Whalen Turner 
I think I've spoken about this series enough, but it's brilliant. It is a richly political series and to my complete  joy and surprise, I found that Seraphina was too. If you like intense politics, thievery, and deception, this is definitely a must-read for you. Plus, while the Queen of Attolia is ruthless in a way Seraphina definitely isn't, they both face similar problems of trust and loneliness that they must battle, making this series all the more deep. 
8. Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff 
I am throwing this one on this list because, all though I'm not completely finished with it, it reminds me a lot of Seraphina. There are strong bonds of friendship, kick-ass heroines, and mythical creatures. What more incentive do you need to pick this one up? 
9. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi 
Yet another debut novel I loved! I think Aria and Seraphina are so similar because both of them are forced to undergo massive changes and come to terms with who they really are in a way they never have had to before. Plus, the world-building in both these novels is rich and beautiful, so I'd definitely pick this one up! 
10. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor 
I don't think I need to tell you to read this - the beautiful cover speaks for itself. While I've said this before, I love how this novel has such intense world-building and kick-ass characters in it. Furthermore, Karou and Seraphina are similar in the sense that they both start out by not knowing who they are and eventually, they find out and come to terms with it, although in different ways. I also think the writing between Taylor and Hartman is similar as these two write such flowing paragraphs that it can only be called a true art form.

Well, there you have it - my Top Ten Tuesday for this week! Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone! :D

P.S. - I will be posting my review of Seraphina sometime tomorrow, so stay tuned! (: 

15 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy books, but I did love Fire and Under the Never Sky and Daughter of Smoke and Bone was pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed those books Lisa! I think you should give some other fantasy novels a try if you enjoyed those - let me know if you do! I'll be interested to see what you think of them! :D

      Delete
  2. Haha, I was one of the predicatble ones with my Hunger Games posts! Thank you for coming by the blog and commenting, anyway, I appreciate it! I've been meaning to add some fantasy to my TBR list (which grows exponentially with every Top Ten Tuesday post), I'll use your list as a guide :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belle!(: I loved your list, I just wanted to do something different. I love fantasy novels, so these are some of my favorite - I hope you enjoy them! I'll be interested to see what you think of them! :D

      Delete
  3. Ooo, Angelfall and Cry Of The Icemark look good. I quite liked Seraphina and will have to check a few of these out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to see what you think of them April!(: I loved Seraphina so I'm glad to see that you did too! :D

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I loved Under the Never Sky! <3 Such a wonderful book. I'm also in love with Fire, that was SO good. So I definitely need to pick up Seraphina! I shall scout out for a copy. I can't wait to read your review, Keertana! Since we tend to have similar tastes, I'm sure I'll absolutely love it.

    Fabulous list, Keertana! <3

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Under the Never Sky and Fire as well!(: You definitely have to read Seraphina soon Aneeqah - I think you'll really enjoy it! :D

      Delete
  5. Great TTT! I have been wanting to read Seraphina AND Fire-- I don't know what I am waiting for!
    Also, you must add Ann McCaffery's Dragon Riders of Pern to the dragon section. Best dragon books ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely should read Seraphina and Fire ASAP! :D I've heard a lot about those books but have somehow never gotten around to them yet - thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a copy so I can start them soon! I heard they're incredible!(:

      Delete
  6. Seraphina is next on my TBR list! I love Eragon and Kristin Cashore is a great author. I still need to read Fire, though.

    Great list! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara!(: I loved Seraphina, so I can't wait to see what you think of it! Fire was my favorite of Cashore's works, so I hope you like that one as well! :D

      Delete
  7. Sounds like I'd better read Seraphina. It sounds like it would be on my list of Harry Potter like books. Thanks for the recommendation. I see that we have lots of similar books on our lists, so I know I'm on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely should check out Seraphina! :D I'd love to see what you think of it Anne!(:

      Delete
  8. I haven't read any books of this list, but heard so many good things about Angelfall. I'll add it to my to-be-read list :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.